6 Tips to Keeping Your Garage Safe at All Times
Unfortunately, we too often fail to take the safety of our garage seriously even though it is one of the most dangerous places in our home. Not only do garages serve as storage spots for our vehicles, they serve as a place to hangout for our kids, and so has to be kept safe at all times. Your garage door, being the most dangerous component of your garage has to be safely secured.
To help you avoid unnecessary expenses or potential injuries, here are 6 useful tips to help maintain your garage and garage door safe at all times.
1. Always try to keep your garage as clean as possible. Sort through the items in your garage and have them stored up in shelves or cabinets. Anything that shouldn’t be in there, should be removed. To minimize the chances of a trip fall, ensure no item is kept on the floor.
2. Eliminate all fire hazards. Lots of fire accidents start from the garage. The main reason is your gas and oil containers that you store in there. Keeping away inflammable materials away from electricity, and installing fireproof garage roofs will help reduce fire hazards and potentially save your property.
3. Make sure your garage door is maintained properly. Garage doors pose a great deal of threat, they are mostly operated by electricity and a little malfunctioning component can spell a fatal disaster. In addition to that, any broken component can cause a serious injury, so it is recommended you get a professional to carry out the required maintenance. It was estimated, that about 30 000 people are injured every year as a result of garage door malfunction. Do your best to stay away from that statistics.
4. Don’t let your kids keep their toys or other belongings in a garage. Doing this ensures they have nothing to do in there, thus guaranteeing their safety.
5. Install monitoring devices in your garage. In case something goes wrong, you’ll get notified. To guard against unexpected scenarios, install safety detectors like smoke and heat detectors in your garage.
6. Avoid replacing or fixing your garage door springs. Adjusting, repairing or replacing springs, cables, and other fastened components is extremely dangerous and can lead to death if not done properly. Whenever the need arises, seek the help of professional technicians.
Following these steps can protect your family and your property from terrible loss or injury. Remember, we are responsible for our own safety!