Book Review – A Better Way to Live
Og Mandino is a best-selling author. His most popular book is the book, “The Greatest Salesman in the World”. He has sold millions of books that has been translated to many languages.
As appealing his books are to people, his personal background and life is fascinating. In many of his books, Og Mandino gives a hint about his life and struggles. In this book, “A Better Way to Live”, he openly talks about his struggles and how he overcame them. As usual, he also incorporates the concepts of lessons and scrolls as learning points in the book. This is why his books are beneficial to the readers.
Og Mandino almost committed suicide in his younger years. He was down and depressed. Fortunately for him (and for us), he took a different route and decided to better his life. He found a better way to live. It would not seem after his many publishing successes that he experienced great tribulations in his life. Yet, he did lost his family and was on the brink of suicide. Through his experience, he is able to relate to his readers.
His rules in this book are rules for a better way to live. They include:
1) Count your blessings.
2) Deliver more than what you are getting paid to do.
3) Do not dwell on your past mistakes.
4) Surround yourself with your family especially if you spend long hours away from them.
5) Build this day on a foundation of pleasant thoughts.
6) Let your action speak louder than your words. But be careful of conceit and pride.
7) Look at each day as a gift from God.
8) Do not spend your days on unnecessary clutter but on productive tasks.
9) Live each day as though it was your last.
10) Treat everyone you know or meet as though you will be dead by midnight.
11) Laugh at yourself and at life.
12) Never neglect the little things.
13) Welcome every morning with a smile.
14) Set your goals on a daily basis.
15) Never allow anyone or anything to rain on your parade.
16) Search for the seed of good in every adversity.
17) Realize that true happiness lies within you.
He expands on each of his rules. Og Mandino portrays that the time we have on earth is limited. We should make the most of each and every minute in order to live a better way of live.